<span class="highlight">Best</span> <span class="highlight">time</span> <span class="highlight">to</span> avoid the rush in Broome

Submitted: Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:14
ThreadID: 48473 Views:6405 Replies:13 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
What is the best time to visit Broome and surrounds to miss the mad rush, and to be reasonalbly sure of getting a park spot without the need to queue up. (I plan to get there about the first half of June). What are my chances?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:26

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:26
Probably June 1986 ...

AnswerID: 256124

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 20:16

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 20:16
Avan

Don't listen to Andrew. The middle of summer is quiet. However it may be a tad on the warm side, and service could be lacking!

LOL

Seriously, and depending on the season, I'd be looking at April.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 517231

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 22:54

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 22:54
Come on Kim... I wasn't saying that it wasn't a good place to go to... god only knows I keep going back there meself.

But if you want to avoid the rush you're a bit l8 for dinner.

The place is getting busier every time I go there...

Cheers
Andrew.
FollowupID: 517253

Reply By: Go-N-Grey (WA) - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:43

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:43
When its hot and unpleasant!

We were there in mid April, and although it was warm 35, the swimming was excellent, and the parks deserted.

My son lives there and flies for a charter company, says you cant move at the moment in the streets.
AnswerID: 256130

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:48

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:48
We were there mid July this year. ;)
There were three overflow camping areas and we had no trouble getting into the PCYC area. This wasn't too bad at all.
AnswerID: 256132

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:50

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 19:50
We were there early June 06 and things were getting crowded then. Had to book ahead 6mths to guarantee a tent site. Van sites much worse. Heard they were taking 08 bookings then. BTW if your tenting the ground is bloody hard. We had to water jet our pegs into the ground.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 256134

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 20:57

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 20:57
Hi

We carry a set of tent pegs made from bridge spikes with a large washer welded below the head to give a bigger area to hold guy ropes ot tent loops.Bridge spike can be bought at any hardware shop for about 80c for 150 mm and can be driven into ANYTHING guarenteed.
FollowupID: 517233

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 20:59

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 20:59
Hi

To cope with hard ground, we made up a set of pegs using 150 mm bridge spikes, available from any hardware store. Weld a washer below the head to giv a bigger surface area to hold the rope or loop and they can be driven into ANYTHING.
FollowupID: 517234

Follow Up By: lees fishin - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 09:53

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 09:53
hi , to deal with hard ground an tent pegs! we use a cheap hammer drill to pre drill holes first then tap your peg in.(very easy) some parks even have drills they loan out (sharkbay cp)
FollowupID: 517300

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 21:56

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 21:56
I can recommend April 1991 - rocked up to the Caravan Park behind the Resort and booked in for 3 nights - not a problem !
AnswerID: 256155

Reply By: Member - Brett (WA) - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 21:59

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 21:59
To be honest, April to May. It's still a little warm and the tourists are just coming in but beware of over expensive accommodation and restaurants with very little or no service.

My wife and I lived there from December 06 to June 07 and really, I think Broome's severely over rated and over expensive.

At anytime from May to October the town is flooded with backpackers and tourists. The pubs and cafe's are run by toursits and it makes it very interesting trying to order something as simple as a beer when the person behind the bar can't speak a word of English.

I'd reconsider a trip to Broome and go somewhere else. Save yourself the hassle and cost.

But this is just my own 2c, other people might have a better or worse view. Take it all on board and best to make your own decision.
AnswerID: 256157

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:17

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:17
I fully agree, it's totally over-rated, a gr8 advertising hoax.

A place you can see in two days and then your sick of the garbage in the streets, some of it (almost) human too, laying around drunk and agitated...

Go visit and make up your own mind, then move to 80 mile or one of the many beach camp areas for some R & R.
FollowupID: 517306

Follow Up By: Kevndeb - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:41

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:41
My hubby had to work there for a week, and he said much the same thing, highly overrated and very expensive. He has an all-expenses paid job, it did not worry him, but for people traveling it would be hard.

And watch out for the bronzed whalers that lurk on the nudie beach he was told.

Debbie
FollowupID: 517404

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 23:16

Monday, Aug 06, 2007 at 23:16
We drove into town late September 2003 and snagged a spot at Roebuck Bay CP. It was starting to get hot but most of the pubs/hotels/restaurants were going OK and everything else was good.

I understand you probably couldn't do that now, but I would still recommend that time of year as most ppl are on their way home by then.
AnswerID: 256174

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:53

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:53
We love Broome and have been many times, however we really like to get out of town and stay on the northern beaches and beach camp. You can easily drive back to town for supplies and other activities. Surprisingly, even during the peak June season, there's plenty of spots to camp up there. Just turn off the Cape Leveque Rd a the Willie Creek Pearl Farm turnoff and continue up the coast road. Barred Creek, Columnb Point etc all fabulous and no one but fishing folk and more adventorous campers around. Many spots ok for CT and vans. Talking of CL - this spot has always been more suitable for swimming and even now with the increase of Irigangi stingers at Cable Beach and and increase in croc populations, CL is still considered safe. Better spot for snorkelling etc and now no permits required so quite a good option. We have given up on camping in town - who wants to be crowded in, worrying about security, lack of shade, queves at the laundry, lack of grass etc? Broome caters best for resort stayers I feel so that's your other option if you really want to stay in the heart of it. Pull up at one of the self-contained apartments for a few days and relax. If all this isn't your cup of tea, and staying in a van park in Broome is more your thing, then I would suggest going later in the year. Our first trip to Broome was in late October, although hot was much cooler than the Kimberley where we'd just come from - spent all our time in the CP pool and enjoyed much less tourism chaos than you'd get in June. Only downside is there is usually no grass left at the end of the season in parks by this time. It's all a compromise - so opt for what will make you the least stressed so your holiday will still be enjoyable.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 256234

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:44

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:44
Avan
what Michelle& the others have said is correct. came back last wednesday from broome & cape leveque. yep, crowded & caravan parks now taking bookings for 08 & 09.
2 x c/van parks will be closed from next tourist season as the land is worth more than the income from operating a c/van park.

best to go in the shoulder season if u want to just rock up, without a booking. looking @ the overflow parks, they were all full, understand u can only stay there a limited time.

looking @ some of the comments above, maybe it is getting a little overrated, but SWMBO loves the beach, so we will continue to go there, but with resort lifestyle.
good luck Tom
AnswerID: 256238

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 13:16

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 13:16
After my recent experiences in Broome, do yerself a favour 'n stay home.

I had that many probs with being ripped off, nowhere to walk the dog, very poor service, litter everywhere, used babies nappies on the grass, tin cans, beer bottles etc,,,,,,I'll never go back there ever.

All Broome has is Cable Beach - naff all else.

I wrote a nasty letter to Broome Council and the Broome Tourist Bureau. They didn't like it.

All they want is yer open wallet.

Best way to do a virtual tour of Broome??,,,,,

Here's part of my letter,,,,,,,,

"In closing, my suggestion for Broome’s next tourism campaign is something along the lines of:

· Phone Broome Tourist Bureau and give them your credit card details

· Broome Tourist Bureau will then remove One Thousand Dollars from your bank account by EFT

· Broome Tourist Bureau will then send you, by return post, a free sun tan lamp and a picture postcard of Cable Beach

· This will save tourists from paying for and using all that diesel and jet fuel, and they can tell everybody that they did ‘virtually’ all of Broome in an environmentally aware manner without all the hassle of those boring driving or flying miles

Your slogan could be,” Be careful of the rips in Broome – they’re not all at Cable Beach

End of part of letter.

I had better times in Kunnnura, Derby, Katherine, Darwin and currently Laverton (of all places!!)

Broome?? Overrated and overstated. Ya can brick it up 'n fill it full of concrete for all I care!!

Bilbo - "The unsatisfied hobbit"

AnswerID: 256245

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 14:26

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 14:26
Bilbo, yeah heaps of places seem to think they have Fred Niles rights to rip you off..... I can understand why they did not like your frank & honest disclosure..... For me the same applies to the Daintree, now full of expensive restaraunts, humungous chemist shops, "exclusive resorts" and an Ice cream parlor... all I wanted was the advertised wilderness, I tried complaining but as my german is not up to speed no one could understand or comprehend my complaint.
FollowupID: 517320

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 22:46

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2007 at 22:46
In 1992 over crowded and dirty!! Yes 92, left the c'pk and went and slept on the lawn by cable beach and used the shower in the toilets.Yep Yep Yep, OVER RATED!!
Will try the northern beaches though when we are there next year, thanks for the info Michelle.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 256337

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 09:30

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 09:30
Avan,

We booked three months ahead for an ensuite site at Broome Vacation Village in August 2006. We had no trouble getting in, found the park excellent.

Broome is overcrowded.Broome can be expensive, noisy, trashy, touristy and alll that has been already said.

But.....Broome is beautiful, Broome has a rich history, Broome is a wonderful mix of races, Broome has the Pigram Brothers singing each Saturday at the Courthouse Markets, Broome has Cable Beach with its long stretches of sand where you can find a place for yourself without anyone right on your doorstep.Broome is Broome!

Go and find out for yourself. It's like recommending a book or a movie. No one can know what you will like. You have to see for yourself.

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 256368

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 14:00

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 14:00
G'day Avan,

I am one of the likers of Broome it was a special place for us in Sept 2005 and we thoroughly enjoyed our week here doing amongst other things sail fishing (7 sails), creek fishing (small barra), a sunset Camel tour, Malcolm Douglas’s croc farm, the Broome jetty, stairway to the moon and the Shinju festival (pearl festival). Also a good place to have any mechanical work done and we stayed at the Roebuck CP, not the friendliest of people but a nice, well located park. It was only a part of our Kimberley experience and we were ready for some civilisation so to speak. We ran out of time to do anything nearby so we will be going back - soon I hope.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 256408

Sponsored Links